The best way to protect yourself from mosquito-borne diseases is to avoid mosquito bites when going outdoors. EPA-registered insect repellents such as those containing DEET, Picaridin, Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus, or IR3535 will provide effective protection against mosquito bites when used properly.
Use the EPA insect repellent search tool to help you choose the insect repellent that is right for you and your family.
Mosquito Repellent Tips
- Read and follow all label instructions.
- Reapply as directed.
- Do not spray repellent on the skin under clothing.
- If you are also using sunscreen, apply sunscreen first and insect repellent second.
For more information on mosquito repellent visit the sites below:
- Centers For Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- National Pesticide Information Center (NPIC)
- California Department of Public Health (CDPH)
Download and Print
Download and print information (in English and Spanish) below on how to prevent mosquito bites to share with family, friends, and neighbors.Prevent Mosquito Bites-English-Spanish.pdf